I'm getting to the "home stretch" now! It's time to frame in the office.
The first wall was the biggest challenge because I needed to attach the top in a small space between the main duct and the foundation wall. It was a little tough to get into that little cranny. I had to twist and turn several times to get the hammer where I needed it.
Framing around ductwork (again!)
The 2nd wall of the office presented a challenge as well, again because of the ductwork. I needed to frame the first couple of feet to fit under the duct. That went fine, but after I secured the wall, I realized that section was a little "wobbly". I needed to use some creative blocking techniques to secure the wall. Here's how it turned out:
The only challenging part of the 3rd wall was the fact that I had a water line in the way. I was able to pry off the fasteners that were securing the copper pipe. This allowed me to move the pipe over about an inch which (luckily) was all I needed. I also had to decide how I would enclose the water pipes in the closet.
How to frame a closet
I debated just using drywall and cutting an access. I only need to get to the pipes twice a year- to turn on and off the sprinkler system. In the end, I went with a 24" bifold door ($29 at Lowe's).
I purchased the other two doors over the weekend, also at Lowe's. I needed a 32" door for the office, and a 36" door for entry to the furnace/storage room. Adding in the 30" bi-fold door I purchased early (see "Around the corner"), I spent about $200 for the four doors I needed in the basement.
The final wall, with entrance to the office is going to be a bigger challenge. I'll also have to add opening for the closet door (for access to the water pipes). That will be next weekend's fun!